Discovery Owners Club
Home Forum Joining Contact Links News Articles Members
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

Discovery Owners Club

Have YOUR say on the DOC forum...

• Advertisement
Adrian Flux Insurance

Viscose fan

If you're not a member of the club yet and you've got questions about membership before you join, please post them here.

Moderator: Committee

Viscose fan

Post by theshed » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am

Hi all
On investigating a tap/knocking sound from the engine bay of my TD5 I discovered a loose cooling fan.
I am guessing a failed fan bearing ?
First question is how to remove it, I know it is a standard LH thread, so does that mean I turn it to the left when looking from the front and how do I lock the pulley to stop the whole thing turning ?
I can buy a replacement for £60 plus any 'special' tools from Ebay but as it is coming off is it worth fitting an electric fan ? Will fitting an electric fan reduce wear on other components such as the crankshaft pulley ?
Sorry for all the questions but any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Membership Number: 7120
Full name: Mick Holmes

Re: Viscose fan

Post by Holmesy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Buy some fan spanners and remove the fan, then. Heckington the bearing (bit still on engine) for play, you may need to remove belt too. Check fan for damage and or play. If you need to replace the fan pulley bearing there is a good write up on www.discovery2.co.uk

Hth

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Please join our official DOC Facebook Page

Mick Holmes
Events Officer

Post by theshed » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Well, I paid £12 for the 36mm spanner from a local motor factor but the tool for locking the fan was only available via Bearmarch at a cost of over £80 !!!
I tried using this and hitting with hammer as some suggest, tried various methods of holding, but to no avail.
So. I have ordered one online from Flatdog for under £25. Cheaper, but still a lot of money for a rarely used tool.
At least while I await delivery I have time to decide, do I replace the viscose or go electric ?

Post by theshed » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Well, following many hours of searching shops, both virtual and real, and trying the various loosening options on the 'net I received the spanner set bought from Flatdog and had the fan removed in less than two minutes !
Now. More questions, the fan now removed does not display any signs of free movement nor does the pulley.
Is that due to the nut on the fan not having any leverage ? Also I now detect a slight metallic rattle, this is very light and appears to be coming from the LHS as you look at the engine.
Am I looking for faults where there are non ?

Post by theshed » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Sorry guys, I think I am being paranoid but since I saved the fan before the bearing went I would hate for anything else to go.
Whilst running the engine with the fan removed I can hear what is best described as a high pitched screech. It seems to be coming from the front and top of the motor.
Could this be linked to the fan bearing going or the pre-cursor of some other fault ?
Thanks All.

Post by theshed » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi
Fan pulley bearing seems ok. I have changed the belt and idle tensioner which though spinning freely was 'squeeky'.
Hopefully final question on this subject, when removing the serpentine belt I used a socket on a short slider bar with minimal effort to release the tension.
To refit the belt I had to use a two foot jack handle over the slider to take the tension off !
Is the normal when fitting new tensioner and belt ?
I have checked and double checked belt routing, it is correct. I am a little wary of starting up incase it is over tight.
Thanks once again.
Tip to anyone doing this job I found finding the correct a socket a bit of a struggle.
I used a 3/8th drive 14mm multi-point socket. The bolt head is a star shape though the 14mm was a good fit.
My original weapon of choice the 1/2"" drive was to big to fit the recess.

Post by theshed » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Well Thanks all.
With some trepidation I started her up following belt and tensioner change. All is good and and I am impressed with the lack of residual noise.
Though I must admit to hearing another rattling sound ? Which turned out to be the unsecured clip for the engine cover :lol:
Thanks again.
Now about that fan ...

Return to Non-Members' Questions